Most Germans choose their cup of coffee every day – after all, we Germans drink 77,000 cups on average in our lives. Every cup of coffee contains 100 mg of caffeine. If we enjoy the hot drink in moderation, coffee has extremely positive effects.
In the 17th and 18th centuries, coffee slowly but surely became established in Europe. First coffee was drunk for breakfast, later more and more with other meals. The popularity of coffee is mainly due to its stimulating effect. This effect of coffee can essentially be attributed to the caffeine and chlorogenic acids it contains.
Caffeine Content in Coffee
A coffee bean contains between 0.8% and 2.5% caffeine. The caffeine content in coffee is also determined by the contact time of the water with the powder. In the usual amount – no more than four cups a day – there is no health risk.
Despite all efforts, it has not yet been possible to draw up a complete balance of all components of coffee, because its chemical composition is extremely complex and depends on a variety of factors.
The stimulating effect for the circulation is guaranteed. The blood vessels are dilated, the heartbeat is increased and the blood flow to all organs is improved. Caffeine also affects our respiratory center – breathing is accelerated and the bronchial vessels are expanded. Caffeine also has a diuretic effect and leads to increased urination (diuretic effect).
The coffee boosts entire metabolism. In addition, it increases calorie consumption, but with zero calories it is not a problem for the figure.
Coffee Wakes You Up
The coffee bean has an amazing effect on our gray matter: the blood flow to the brain is increased – and with it the concentration. Our brain’s response speed and receptiveness are also increasing. Coffee is a “stimulant” – after a cup of coffee we are more attentive and focused than before.
Coffee makes you more creative, intelligent and enduring, but this does not necessarily mean that it robs us of sleep. Some wake up from two cups in the late afternoon, while others only make one cup sleepy.
How Fast Does Coffee Work?
Coffee has the stimulating effect about 30 to 45 minutes after drinking it.
According to the latest studies, the best effect is achieved if you consume the caffeine in small doses throughout the day instead of in a large mug in the morning.
Who Benefits From Coffee Enjoyment?
The coffee lifts the promotes a good mood.
- Seniors benefit from better brain circulation and can often fall asleep better with an evening cup of coffee.
- Caffeine features a vasodilating effect, which explains why it is also used pharmaceutically: for headache, asthma, heart failure, morphine poisoning.
- If you like to drink coffee and bother about your cholesterol level, you need to know so it depends on what you prepare the coffee. The enjoyment of filtered coffee does not have any influence on blood lipid levels. Only in case of unfiltered variants (e.g. espresso) do substances enter the human body that influence the cholesterol level.
- The latest research indicates that regular coffee consumption reduces the chance to getting gallstones by 25 percent. Roasted substances in coffee act as so-called antioxidants. The chlorogenic acid contained in coffee may possibly prevent colon and liver cancer.
- Coffee may also be a “digestive aid “. A coffee or espresso after eating stimulates gastric acid production and bile secretion – the stomach and intestines progress again.
- It is known that caffeine can improve endurance performance in sports activities. The “stimulating” effect and stimulation of breathing through the coffee ingredients are helpful for athletes. However, whether the breakdown of fats results in increased fat burning continues to be unclear. Caffeinated drinks must certainly be drunk before training, but aren’t suitable as a fluid replacement after exercise.